Welcome to the inital posting of the 404 Squadron History site. This site contains historical data and images from the squadron's inception in April, 1941 to the end of the Argus era in 1980. We have created the site with the additional goal of kickstarting preparations for the Squdron's 70th Anniversary celebrations in 2011. A new website has ben created for the Wing-wide reunion celebrations planned for June 2011. Go to www.rv2011.ca for more.
Please select any of the links at left to learn more about 404 Squadron and our history .
404 Squadron received its Squadron Badge, which was originally signed by H.R.H. King George VI, at a victory parade in Wick, Scotland on 5 May, 1943 from Air Vice Marshall A. B. Ellwod, A.O.C. No. 18 Group, Coastal Command.
The squadron badge is argent a buffalo's head couped proper .It is after this that the Squadron is known as the "Buffalo Squadron", the buffalo being known as a "fierce and powerful fighter". The squadron's motto is "Ready to Fight".
404 Coastal Fighter Squadron was formed on 15 April, 1941 at RAF Thorney Island in South-East England, flying Bristol Blenheims, Beaufighters and DeHavilland Mosquitoes until it was disbanded on 25 May, 1945.
Reformed at RCAF Station Greenwood on April 30, 1950, the 'Herd' has seen a number of different titles, designations and aircraft over the years, most recently being designated a Long-Range Patrol and Training Squadron in 2007 flying the CP140/A Aurora and Arcturus aircraft.
404 Squadron's Battle Honors include:
- Atlantic 1941-1945
- English Channel and North Sea 1941-1945
- Baltic 1944-1945
- Normandy 1944
- Bay of Biscay 1943-1944